Tuesday, August 2, 2016

My Diagnosis & Plan

October 22, 2015

I have Stage 1
Invasive Ductal Carcinoma (IDC)
Triple Positive (ER+, PR+, HER2+)
Breast Cancer

What does that mean?
I have an aggressive but common form of breast cancer.  It started in the milk ducts and has spread out into the surrounding tissues.
ER+ and PR+ means my cancer cells contain estrogen and progesterone receptors which means these hormones can actually help the cancer grow.
HER2+ means my cancer cells contain a protein called HER2 which can cause the cancer to grow and spread aggressively.

Bad news? I have cancer, its aggressive but ….good news? It was caught early and I have a form that responds well to anti-estrogen therapy, biologic targeted therapy and chemotherapy.

So what’s the plan?

6 Cycles of Chemotherapy (1 cycle consists of 3 weeks)
52 Doses of Targeted Therapy (IV meds, weekly for 1 year)
Surgery - Lumpectomy
40 Radiation Treatments (daily for 40 days)
Maintenance Anti-Estrogen Medication for 5-7 years (daily pill)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment.