Tuesday, August 2, 2016

Today...

     Fast forward to today, it has been 10 months since I was diagnosed with breast cancer. How am I doing? I’m okay. I completed 6 cycles of chemotherapy, had a lumpectomy, finished 40 rounds of radiation and I’m still having my weekly iv treatments of Herceptin and Perjeta. My cancer responded well to the chemo and although I’m not officially cancer free I feel positive I will be.

     I’m still fatigued a lot of the time but I’m trying my best to get back to “normal” and enjoying life with my loved ones. I am blessed with a strong circle of family and friends. They all did a part to help me through these last 10 months and I love and appreciate every single one of them. I’m extremely independent and try to get through obstacles on my own but there is NO WAY I could have done this alone. It took me a while to realize this and except help. I know I can be very stubborn but I have grown so much from this experience.

     My husband has been AMAZING. He stepped up, took charge of me, the family, the household. He cooked, he cleaned, he never missed an appointment and alternated with my mom accompanying me to chemo. Sometimes they were both there. You never really know how strong your relationship is until you are tested with a real hardship. I love him soooo much. This man is my best friend and taught me what it truly means to be in a marriage, and I’m grateful everyday to have him as my partner in life.


     My son is doing great. All of this came during his first year of high school and although it was tough he made it through. We shared everything with him right before I started chemo and explained all the side effects and that I would be fine. Telling him was one of the hardest things we had to do. He was so strong and positive. He told me I would be fine and he would take care of me. With the love and support of our family and friends he’s himself again and I am so proud of him.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment.